(910) 769-7339
April 4, 2023
R. Clarke Speaks

FAQS About Child Support

Call (910) 769-7339
Read Full Post

Below are some frequently asked questions about Child Support:

How do North Carolina courts establish child support?

Separated or divorced parents in North Carolina have two ways to establish child support: (1) through a private separation agreement, or (2) by taking their case to a family law court. The first method is quicker, more convenient, less stressful (and less expensive), by far. In either case, it’s best to work with a child support lawyer who can advise you of your legal rights and help you protect your child’s interests.

When determining child support, a family law court will consider:

  • The child’s reasonable maintenance, health, and education needs
  • Both parents’ income (and, in some cases, potential income)
  • The custody arrangements—that is, which parent has primary custody and handles the child’s day-to-day maintenance

Can I ask to modify a child support order in NC?

Parents in NC may ask the court to modify a child support order for various reasons, like a reduction in income or a substantial change in the child’s needs. The court may consider modifying a child support order if:

  • The difference between the current child support amount and the prospective amount is 15% or more
  • The current order is at least three years old
  • A major change in the child’s (or either parent’s) circumstances occurred since the previous order

What happens if my ex refuses to pay child support?

If your co-parent violates the court’s child support order, you have several legal options to pressure them to comply with their financial obligations. If negotiations with your child’s other parent fail, you may consider filing a Motion for Contempt to enforce child support payments.

You can also contact North Carolina Child Support Enforcement and request help with collecting child support. Potential enforcement actions may include wage garnishment, property liens, and tax refund interception.

Our experienced child support lawyers in NC can help you pursue legal action if your co-parent refuses to pay child support.

When should I contact a child support law firm?

Even if your divorce proceeds amicably, we recommend consulting a child support lawyer to make sure you understand your legal rights and negotiate a reasonable child support agreement. Whether you’re the parent who pays or the parent who receives child support, working with a child support attorney can reduce uncertainty, conflict, and stress. Call our office at Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division in Wilmington, NC, at (910) 769-7339 for a consultation.

Copyright © 2023. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division
300 N. 3rd St. Suite 310
Wilmington, NC 28401

(910) 769-7339https://speaksfamilylaw.com/

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Hours of Operations

Open: Mon - Fri: 8:30AM - 5:30PM

We focus on each case like it is our only case. We thrive on finding creative, comprehensive and effective ways to exceed client expectations. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
© Copyrights 2024. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.

This website and the information contained here within is provided by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division as a service to clients and friends. It is not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice. Contained in the website is information about legal issues and legal developments. Content provided is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems.

Use of this website or the information provided by this website, including contacting one of our attorneys, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Prior to the acceptance of a new client or matter, the firm must conduct a search for possible conflicts of interest (already representing another party involved in the matter), and obtain a signed engagement letter. This website should not be used to provide confidential information about a legal matter. This website may provide links to third-party websites. Such linked websites are not under the control of Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division and the firm assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the contents of such websites.

Call Us
Email Us
Skip to content