(910) 769-7339

About NC Child Support

Having a child is a major milestone in one’s life. It’s a moment that brings joy, pride – and expense. A middle-income family will spend about $233,610 to raise a child to age 17, according to a recent U.S. Department of Agriculture study.

The two biggest expenses, housing and food, account for nearly half of this amount. And, of course, this doesn’t include the cost of sending a child to college. Meeting these financial needs is even more difficult if you’re a single parent.

This post will address some of the issues that arise in the context of child support in North Carolina. But no article can fully cover the multitude of questions that you may have as a parent. You should speak with a Wilmington child support attorney to help you along the way.

How Is Child Support Established in North Carolina?

Broadly speaking, there are two main ways to establish child support in North Carolina: privately or through the courts.

Many parents will enter into an agreement to determine monthly child support. This often happens when a married couple separates. There are certain requirements to draft an appropriate agreement. A Wilmington child support attorney can assist in negotiating, drafting, and executing an agreement.

If a child support claim is later asserted, a court will rely on an agreement and not the guidelines. It is presumed that the amount agreed upon is reasonable to meet the child’s needs. Parents must be mindful, however, that a judge is not bound by private agreements.

Childs Best Interests

Courts are obligated to look after the best interests of the child. The amount established by private agreement can be set aside by a court in certain cases. Also, parents generally cannot waive the right to child support.

This allows a court to step in when no child support has been established. When a judge is deciding child support, he or she usually does so according to the North Carolina child support guidelines.

What Are the North Carolina Child Support Guidelines?

Child support in most North Carolina cases is calculated according to a set of presumptive guidelines. These rules are intended to provide a reasonable and appropriate amount of support for the child or children. Section 50-13.4 of the North Carolina General Statutes requires the guidelines to be reviewed at least every four years.

The purpose of this review is to ensure that the application of the child support guidelines results in appropriate orders. North Carolina’s child support guidelines apply to temporary and permanent orders, as well as to retroactive support.

What Factors Are Taken Into Consideration

The guidelines take several factors into consideration. Both parents’ gross incomes from any source, including self-employment, are used in the calculation. Although the definition of “income” is broad, benefits from certain public assistance programs are excluded.

A court may consider potential, instead of actual, income if a parent is attempting to avoid paying child support. This usually occurs in the case of unemployment or unemployment and assumes a parent has the ability to work. The number of children the parents have, including children from other relationships, figures into the calculation.

The child support guidelines also account for the number of overnights each parent has with the child or children. Primary and joint custody arrangements between the parents will determine which of three worksheets to use. If a parent is already paying child support in another matter, that will also be considered.

Document Expenses

A parent should document expenses for a child’s health care, health insurance, and reasonable child care. These costs are taken into consideration by the judge. Other extraordinary expenses for the child are also covered by the child support guidelines.

Limits to the Child Support Guidelines

There are limits to the use of the child support guidelines in North Carolina. For example, the guidelines do not apply if the parents’ combined adjusted gross income is greater than $25,000 per month. In such cases, a court should order an amount that will meet a child’s:

  • Reasonable health
  • Education,
  • Maintenance needs

Because the child support guidelines are presumptive, either parent can request a deviation. This happens when the application of the guidelines would not meet or would exceed, the reasonable needs of the child. When the use of the guidelines is otherwise unjust or inappropriate, a court may also deviate from them.

Several factors will be taken into consideration to determine whether to grant the request to deviate. A Wilmington child support attorney will be familiar with the paperwork and arguments necessary to make this request.

How Can I Obtain Information For My Child Support Case?

As stated above, many factors are used in figuring out child support. Knowing all of the relevant information is essential to argue your case. For example, the other parent may be claiming an unusually large amount for child care expenses. Naturally, you will want evidence concerning these and other costs for the child.

One of the greatest sources of disagreement between parents is over income. One parent may claim that the other is not earning what he or she is actually able to. Or a parent may allege that the other parent is falsely claiming to be unemployed.

Financial affidavits determine both parents’ incomes and expenses. To support information in the affidavits, they exchange certain documents. You may also need to use discovery or subpoenas to obtain information from the other parent or from third parties. Wilmington child support attorneys can help you with this stage of your child support case.

When Does the Child Support Obligation End?

In most cases, child support will end once a child reaches age 18. However, the obligation will continue if the child is still in high school and making progress towards graduation. This exception ends once the child reaches 20 years of age. Child support may also end if the child emancipates.

In addition, payments will continue if a parent is in arrears at the time the support obligation would otherwise terminate. Under N.C.G.S. § 50-13.4, child support payments shall continue in the same amount due under the previous court order. Parents often ask about child support after high school, for instance, during college.

Although North Carolina courts cannot order a parent to pay college costs, the parents themselves may agree to this. A separation agreement or consent order may provide for the payment of such expenses. Wilmington child support lawyers can help with the proper drafting of these documents.

Modification of a Previous Child Support Order

The child support guidelines also address motions to modify previous orders. To modify a child support order in North Carolina, there must be a significant change in circumstances. A court compares the amount in the old order to the amount that would currently result from the guidelines. If the difference is at least 15%, and the prior order is three years or older, a significant change in circumstances might happen.

There are many reasons a parent will ask to modify a child support order. There could be a job loss, reduction in hours, a decrease (or increase) in income, or even unemployment. A child may also age out of child support, while other children are still eligible for it. Still another basis for a modification is a change in the custody arrangement between the parents.

Depending on the child’s age, a parent may now have daycare expenses that were not present before. Health insurance premiums can increase, or you may now have more children. These and innumerable other reasons may support an increase or decrease in a parent’s child support obligation. Talk to a Wilmington child support attorney if you believe a child support order should (or should not) be modified.

What Happens If a Parent Fails to Pay Child Support?

If the other parent stops paying child support, the result can be financial hardship and stress. Fortunately, numerous remedies are available under North Carolina law to assist you. The type of remedy depends on whether child support is required pursuant to an agreement or court order.

If the separation agreement does not corporate as part of a court order, then it is still a contract. Not paying as required by such an agreement may give rise to a claim for a breach of contract. Bear in mind that North Carolina’s statute of limitations may restrict your ability to take court action. You will, therefore, want to address non-payment as soon as possible.

Other remedies exist when child support is part of a court order (including with incorporated separation agreements). When a parent violates a court order by not paying child support, contempt may be an option.


Contempt of court is a frequent method for judges to address violations of child support orders. There are two types of contempt: civil and criminal. Civil contempt is to enforce payment of support. On the other hand, criminal contempt is to punish non-payment. The line between civil and criminal contempt is often blurry, but the two serve distinct purposes. Contempt is a complicated legal process, and you should consult a Wilmington child support attorney about it.

Contempt is not the only possible solution. North Carolina Child Support Enforcement is a government agency that can help collect unpaid child support. Private attorneys may also assist parents in this process. Enforcement actions other than contempt include the following:

  • Placing liens on real and personal property
  • Intercepting tax refunds
  • A requirement to post bonds
  • Garnishment and assignment of wages

Wilmington Child Support Lawyer and Custody

Parents frequently clash over child custody. This occurs whether there is an order for custody, a formal agreement, or an informal agreement. If you’re experiencing a custody battle, you may want to withhold child support as a leveraging tool. Conversely, if you have not received child support, you may want to deny visitation as payback to the other parent. However, child support is for the benefit of the child and judges will not look favorably upon these actions. You should seek the counsel of a Wilmington child support attorney if you are having problems with support or custody.

Wilmington Child Support Attorney Fees in Child Support Cases

Section 50-13.6 of the North Carolina General Statutes allows a court to award attorney’s fees in child support cases. This includes motions to modify previous child support orders. Attorney’s fees are also available in civil contempt actions to enforce support orders. Finally, separation agreements may allow for attorney’s fees in the event of breaches.

A Wilmington Child Support Attorney May Be Able to Help You

Parents may wish to avoid court and agree to child support on their own terms. Although judges have the power to set these agreements aside, they are usually less costly and time-consuming than court. But no two child support cases are alike, and the parents may disagree as to how much a child needs. It is for these situations that they created child support guidelines.

If faced with court, you may be in for the long haul. There are numerous statutes and court decisions that may be relevant to your case. Additionally, there are rules of civil procedure and local rules. Even if your case settles, drafting an appropriate agreement requires legal skill and experience.

Regardless of your situation, you should consider discussing it with an experienced Wilmington child support attorney.

Contact us today for a consultation.

Ask a Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request a Consultation

Call (910) 769-7339 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
Main Contact Form
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Why Choose Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division?

Passion – Our family law attorneys, Justin Moulin and Sarah Gray, are dedicated to helping clients with legal matters involving divorce and family issues in Wilmington, North Carolina. We put clients’ needs first, and we are passionate about helping people through emotionally difficult times.
Experience – When dealing with family legal issues, you need someone with a proven track record. Sarah Gray and Justin Moulin have dedicated their careers to representing families. Sarah has more than 10 years of experience representing clients, while Justin has worked in multiple counties in North Carolina and has focused on custody and child support actions, protective order hearings, alimony claims, property division, and divorce.
Case review – You can have peace of mind when you discuss your needs with us. We will review your circumstances and goals. In this discussion, we can create a plan for you and determine your challenges and opportunities. Fill out our online form to schedule a case evaluation.

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Related Practice Areas

View All Practice Areas

What Our Clients Are Saying

Client Review | Wilmington, NC 28401 | Speaks Family Law
  • I was very pleased with the way that Speaks Family Law handled my case. They worked hard to get the most money that they could. Everyone at the firm was always polite and always answered all of my concerns. I would definitely recommend Speaks Family Law to anyone who needs representation. I always knew that they were there anytime I needed them. A big “Thank you!” goes out to all of the people who are involved with the firm.

    - KE -

  • “She was amazing, she was able to give me the information I needed and was straight forward about what was possible regarding my son. She has made me feel confident in knowing that father’s have just as much legal rights to kids as moms. If I need legal help regarding anything further I will be contacting her again for sure.”

    - D. L. -

  • It was a very helpful experience and I am especially grateful for the way they answered my questions and helped me navigate what would have been a much more difficult situation. I felt that my interests were fought for and taken care of and would hightly recommend anyone who might go through this to be respresented by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division.

    - S.H. -

View More Testimonials

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division is a nationally recognized firm

The National Trial LawyersRated By Super LawyersAvvo Rating 10.0

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Related Blogs And Videos

At Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division, we provide you with multimedia educational resources to help you become informed regarding your Family Law situation. We invite you to explore our library of articles and videos. The better you understand the factors in your case, the more effectively we can work together towards your goals.

Related Blogs

All Blogs

Frequestly Ask Questions

FAQS About Child Support

Below are some frequently asked questions about Child Support:

How do North Carolina courts establish child support?

Separated or divorced parents in North Carolina have two ways to establish child support: (1) through a private separation agreement, or (2) by taking their case to a family law court. The first method is quicker, more convenient, less stressful (and less expensive), by far. In either case, it’s best to work with a child support lawyer who can advise you of your legal rights and help you protect your child’s interests.

When determining child support, a family law court will consider:

  • The child’s reasonable maintenance, health, and education needs
  • Both parents’ income (and, in some cases, potential income)
  • The custody arrangements—that is, which parent has primary custody and handles the child’s day-to-day maintenance

Can I ask to modify a child support order in NC?

Parents in NC may ask the court to modify a child support order for various reasons, like a reduction in income or a substantial change in the child’s needs. The court may consider modifying a child support order if:

  • The difference between the current child support amount and the prospective amount is 15% or more
  • The current order is at least three years old
  • A major change in the child’s (or either parent’s) circumstances occurred since the previous order

What happens if my ex refuses to pay child support?

If your co-parent violates the court’s child support order, you have several legal options to pressure them to comply with their financial obligations. If negotiations with your child’s other parent fail, you may consider filing a Motion for Contempt to enforce child support payments.

You can also contact North Carolina Child Support Enforcement and request help with collecting child support. Potential enforcement actions may include wage garnishment, property liens, and tax refund interception.

Our experienced child support lawyers in NC can help you pursue legal action if your co-parent refuses to pay child support.

When should I contact a child support law firm?

Even if your divorce proceeds amicably, we recommend consulting a child support lawyer to make sure you understand your legal rights and negotiate a reasonable child support agreement. Whether you’re the parent who pays or the parent who receives child support, working with a child support attorney can reduce uncertainty, conflict, and stress. Call our office at Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division in Wilmington, NC, at (910) 769-7339 for a consultation.

How Can a Mother Lose Custody of Her Child After Divorce in North Carolina?

Divorce Attorney Wilmington NC

North Carolina vigorously protects the parent-child relationship, allowing each parent to be involved in their children’s lives. However, in some cases, the state will remove a child from the mother’s home and send the child to live with other relatives or with foster parents.

In other situations, parents divorce or have a child out of wedlock, and the mother gets custody. The father might want to modify custody so that he has custody of the child and the mother gets visitation.

If you are worried about custody, contact a Wilmington family lawyer.

The State Removes Your Child

Child Protection Services typically gets involved when there has been credible suspicion of abuse, neglect, or endangerment. For example, a schoolteacher might notice bruises on your child’s back and call Child Protection Services to report her suspicions. The agency will investigate and probably speak to you.

If the department suspects abuse, they can remove the child from your home. This does not necessarily mean your parental rights will be terminated. Termination is a last resort, and parents usually have many chances to get themselves together. For example, if you have a drug or alcohol addiction, you might have supervised visitation with your children while you get treatment.

If you cannot turn your life around, then you might not get your children back. They might move in with a relative, such as your parents, or into foster care. Eventually, the state might move to terminate your parental rights.

The Father Requests Custody Modification

It is hard to modify custody in North Carolina. Once a judge signs off on a custody order, he is not anxious to revisit it. Judges in particular like stability, so they will maintain the status quo unless there is a very good reason to support a change of custody.

What is a legitimate reason to change custody? Here are some of the more common:

  • You are endangering your child, or someone in your household (like a new partner) is a danger to the child. Your new boyfriend might have a criminal history of abuse or molestation, or he could be addicted to drugs.
  • You persistently interfere with the father’s right to visitation. Cancelling visitation or not showing up for no valid reason can anger a judge, especially if you repeatedly deny visitation. Cancelling visitation once is not enough to warrant a change of custody. Significant interference with the other parent’s relationship with your child is. It is also a problem if you try to emotionally alienate your children from their father.

If you have received papers concerning a modification of child custody, reach out to a lawyer today. Often, you can successfully fight off a request to change custody, but you need to convince a judge to maintain the status quo.

Legal Advice when You Need it Most

At Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division, we have represented many mothers in custody disputes. Our firm has built its reputation providing detailed, passionate representation for many emotional issues. If you would like to find out more, contact us today.

View All FAQs

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Hours of Operations

Open: Mon - Fri: 8:30AM - 5:30PM

We focus on each case like it is our only case. We thrive on finding creative, comprehensive and effective ways to exceed client expectations. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
© Copyrights 2024. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.

This website and the information contained here within is provided by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division as a service to clients and friends. It is not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice. Contained in the website is information about legal issues and legal developments. Content provided is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems.

Use of this website or the information provided by this website, including contacting one of our attorneys, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Prior to the acceptance of a new client or matter, the firm must conduct a search for possible conflicts of interest (already representing another party involved in the matter), and obtain a signed engagement letter. This website should not be used to provide confidential information about a legal matter. This website may provide links to third-party websites. Such linked websites are not under the control of Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division and the firm assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the contents of such websites.

Call Us
Email Us