(910) 769-7339
April 5, 2023
R. Clarke Speaks

FAQS About Modifications

Call (910) 769-7339
Read Full Post

Below are some frequently asked questions about Modifications:

What conditions qualify for a post-divorce agreement modification?

Agreements made during a divorce such as alimony (spousal support) or child support payments may require updating over time.

Whether you’re seeking a modification to an alimony or child support agreement, the court will require that something significant has changed in order to grant the modification. Acceptable reasons for a post-divorce agreement modification by the court include:

  • Relocation of either parent or former spouse to another county in North Carolina, state, or country
  • A change in job status, including job loss, promotion, or a new job
  • Remarriage by the spouse receiving spousal support
  • An increase or decrease in income by either former spouse or parent that constitutes a significant change in income
  • For child support modification, any significant changes in the child’s needs

When can I request a child support modification in North Carolina?

Remember that child support is not for the benefit of the receiving parent but for the child. The court is extremely strict about what modifications you can make to your child support agreement and when you can make modifications. Our Wilmington family law attorneys can review your case to advise you, but generally, North Carolina will only allow modifications to child support when:

  • Three years have passed since the child support order became effective, and the proposed modification would change the payment amount by 15% or more
  • The child’s medical or developmental needs have changed
  • The payor parent’s income has changed significantly
  • The physical child custody agreement has changed

How can I qualify for a reduction in my support obligations?

If you pay child support, you may qualify for a reduction in your payment amount if you lose your job, experience financial hardship, become disabled, or go to jail. For example, if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for disability, you will likely qualify for a reduction in your child support responsibility.

How can your Wilmington divorce attorney help me in my post-divorce modification case?

A divorce modifications lawyer with Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division can help you compare your current situation to your reported income and other factors when the court established your alimony or child support payments. This post-divorce agreement modifications lawyer can help you file the correct petitions with the court to request a modification. Call us at Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division at (910) 769-7339 in Wilmington, NC, to schedule a case review.

Copyright © 2023. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division
300 N. 3rd St. Suite 310
Wilmington, NC 28401

(910) 769-7339https://speaksfamilylaw.com/

Related Services

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Hours of Operations

Open: Mon - Fri: 8:30AM - 5:30PM

We focus on each case like it is our only case. We thrive on finding creative, comprehensive and effective ways to exceed client expectations. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
© Copyrights 2024. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.

This website and the information contained here within is provided by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division as a service to clients and friends. It is not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice. Contained in the website is information about legal issues and legal developments. Content provided is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems.

Use of this website or the information provided by this website, including contacting one of our attorneys, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Prior to the acceptance of a new client or matter, the firm must conduct a search for possible conflicts of interest (already representing another party involved in the matter), and obtain a signed engagement letter. This website should not be used to provide confidential information about a legal matter. This website may provide links to third-party websites. Such linked websites are not under the control of Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division and the firm assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the contents of such websites.

Call Us
Email Us