(910) 769-7339
blog, child-custody
November 14, 2019
R. Clarke Speaks

What Are the Child Custody Laws for Unmarried Parents in North Carolina?

Call (910) 769-7339
Read Full Post

Unmarried Parents

Under North Carolina, mothers and fathers do not stand on equal footing when they are unmarried. Instead, the mother has sole custody of the child until the father establishes paternity. In many cases, establishing paternity will not be controversial. Even divorce 2321087 1920 optwhen there is a dispute, DNA testing can conclusively establish paternity. For assistance, speak to a Wilmington divorce attorney.

Establishing Paternity

There are many ways to establish paternity under North Carolina law:

  • The mother and father can complete an affidavit pursuant to NCGS § 130A-101(f).
  • The mother and father can marry after the child’s birth pursuant to NCGS §49-12
  • A civil action to establish paternity under NCGS § 49-14
  • A special proceeding to legitimate a child under NCGS § 49-10 or 49-12.1
  • A criminal nonsupport action under NCGS § 49-2

Ideally, the parents can complete the affidavit, which will avoid the expense of a court proceeding. However, if there is a dispute about custody, then a court action could be unavoidable.

Parental Rights after Paternity Has Been Established

Once paternity is established, both mother and father have rights to custody. If they don’t live together, they can draft their own custody agreement, which will allocate time with the child and decision-making authority.

What happens if the parents cannot agree on custody? In this case, a judge will need to decide custody, just as a judge would when a married couple has a contested divorce. Judges decide custody based on the best interests of the child.

banner 1 1Rights when Paternity Has Not Been Established

If a man has not established himself as the father, then he does not have custody rights. Of course, he also is not on the hook for child support, either. Some paternity actions are brought by men hoping to establish a right to see the child, and others are brought by mothers hoping to drag a man into court and get him to pay child support.

If you want to see your child, then establishing paternity is a vital first step, even if the mother lets you voluntarily see the child. If the mother decides to cut off contact, and you have not established paternity, then you will not have a right to continue seeing the child.

Confused about Your Rights? Contact Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division

Having children out of wedlock is not unusual anymore. Nevertheless, the law for child custody still requires that men take certain steps to establish himself as the father. At our firm, we have handled many paternity actions as well as child custody disputes. For help with your case, please contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.

Copyright © 2023. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division
300 N. 3rd St. Suite 310
Wilmington, NC 28401

(910) 769-7339https://speaksfamilylaw.com/

Related Services

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Hours of Operations

Open: Mon - Fri: 8:30AM - 5:30PM

We focus on each case like it is our only case. We thrive on finding creative, comprehensive and effective ways to exceed client expectations. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
© Copyrights 2024. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.

This website and the information contained here within is provided by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division as a service to clients and friends. It is not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice. Contained in the website is information about legal issues and legal developments. Content provided is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems.

Use of this website or the information provided by this website, including contacting one of our attorneys, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Prior to the acceptance of a new client or matter, the firm must conduct a search for possible conflicts of interest (already representing another party involved in the matter), and obtain a signed engagement letter. This website should not be used to provide confidential information about a legal matter. This website may provide links to third-party websites. Such linked websites are not under the control of Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division and the firm assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the contents of such websites.

Call Us
Email Us
Skip to content