(910) 769-7339
blog, divorce
October 6, 2020
R. Clarke Speaks

Where Should You File for Divorce in North Carolina?

Call (910) 769-7339
Read Full Post

If you decide to divorce your spouse in North Carolina, you should know the specific procedures and requirements you need to satisfy. You should also make sure you have met the eligibility requirements in the state. To qualify for a divorce, you or your spouse must have lived in North Carolina for at least 6 months. You also must have been separated for at least a year and a day.

Once you have met the requirements, you should know where to file for divorce. Court clerks will not help you fill out the forms because they are prohibited from giving legal advice. This is why you will need the help of an expert divorce attorney.

  • Are you considering filing a divorce in North Carolina? Contact Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division to discuss your rights and roles with the best Wilmington Divorce Lawyers.

Preparing Your Forms

Where Should You File for Divorce? | Speaks Family Law FirmYou will need to complete several forms to begin the divorce process. You must fill out a:

  • Civil Summons
  • Domestic Civil Action Cover Sheet
  • Service Members Relief Affidavit
  • Complaint about Absolute Divorce.

If you need guidance during this step, you can refer to the divorce pamphlet published by the North Carolina Judicial Branch. It contains the necessary forms and instructions.

You can also access the Do It Yourself Divorce Packet published by Legal Aid of North Carolina. Typically, all your forms will contain blanks for Defendant and Plaintiff. As the person asking the court for a divorce, you are the plaintiff. Your spouse is the defendant.

  • Make sure to note the forms that require notarization. Don’t sign these until you are in front of a public notary. Additionally, make copies of all your forms.

Residency and Filing Your Forms

Where Should You File for Divorce? | Speaks Family Law FirmYou or your spouse must have been a resident of the state for at least 6 months before the filing date to file for divorce in North Carolina. This is called the residency requirement. If you meet it, you can file your forms in the District Division or Superior Division of the General Court of Justice in your county.

When filing your papers, you will be required to pay a filing fee. You can find a list of the current fees on the North Carolina Courts website fee section. You can also call the Clerk of Court office in your county.

If you cannot pay the filing fees, you can apply to have them waived by filing a Petition to Proceed as an Indigent. You won't pay the fee if your petition gets approved.

Serving the Divorce Complaint

The final stage of filing for divorce is serving your spouse with a divorce complaint. Once you file it at the Clerk of Court office, your county sheriff will serve the complaint to your spouse. Currently, that cost is $30.

Talk to a Wilmington Divorce Lawyer Today

Where Should You File for Divorce? | Speaks Family Law FirmDivorce usually involves important matters such as alimony, child custody, and property division. If you want the court to decide on these matters, you should make a formal request in your divorce petition. You could also choose to work with your spouse and a mediator to reach an agreement.

At Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division, we help our clients through divorce procedures. We can advise you on when and where to file for divorce. We can also represent you in court if your case goes to trial.

  • If you are going through a divorce, contact us at (910) 769-7339 to get legal help from top Wilmington Divorce Lawyers.
Copyright © 2023. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division
300 N. 3rd St. Suite 310
Wilmington, NC 28401

(910) 769-7339https://speaksfamilylaw.com/

Questions or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (910) 769-7339

Hours of Operations

Open: Mon - Fri: 8:30AM - 5:30PM

We focus on each case like it is our only case. We thrive on finding creative, comprehensive and effective ways to exceed client expectations. We adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct.
© Copyrights 2024. Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division. All Rights Reserved.

This website and the information contained here within is provided by Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division as a service to clients and friends. It is not intended to be a solicitation or to render legal advice. Contained in the website is information about legal issues and legal developments. Content provided is for informational purposes only and may not reflect the most current legal developments. The content is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an attorney for advice on specific legal problems.

Use of this website or the information provided by this website, including contacting one of our attorneys, does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the firm. Prior to the acceptance of a new client or matter, the firm must conduct a search for possible conflicts of interest (already representing another party involved in the matter), and obtain a signed engagement letter. This website should not be used to provide confidential information about a legal matter. This website may provide links to third-party websites. Such linked websites are not under the control of Speaks Law Firm, PC Family Law Division and the firm assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the contents of such websites.

Call Us
Email Us